Chapter 7:Amatuer Practitioner

"Lead," Rhode said, chewing leftovers over the weak fire solemnly. "I'm leaving the city." I couldn't help but to glare. "Leave... the city? Why? How?"
"I don't want to die here." I set down the water jug I'd been drinking from. Since the water collection, a dire mood set upon us. That is, more dire than it usually is. Our source of water had been compromised. If one Scavenger had found the pool, then others could, also. As far as moving, she was right. We needed a new place... "Where to, then, Rhode? Where would you go? What could be better than here? We have water, and shelter-" My eyes looked at the cold, half-rawed meat in my hands "-and we have food."

"I'm leaving." I set my hand on my forehead, a little dizzied. I was talking like a normal person again, and I felt it coming again, that painful cloud that drifted from it's burial spot in the back of my head to my conscious, a sharp pain setting itself against my mind, blaring away my thought for a few seconds. "-and it's getting warmer again. The ash is clearing. I am going to leave the wreckage. What if they're are others like us, with a cam-" I stared blankly, I could feel it, like a haze setting itself over my vision. "Shut the hell up, damnit! You keep bitching on and on and on! Can't you just shut your mouth for once?" The bitterness of my words had a sour taste to it, and I could feel their sting. She snapped back, her face twisted in anger. "You think I give a shit if you go or not? 'Cause I don't!" She stood up, snatching a few water bottles, a red maddened look in her eyes. The blackness started to cloud around my eyes, closing over my focus.

I heard the slap, my face hitting the crumbled concrete, and the thunderous clapping of her feet, walking away. I let the dark take me over, I couldn't stand to watch her go.

2 comments:

  1. teehee... that's deep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dylan, you should create seperations between the actions and speech. With this font ( the white on black contrast doesnt help) its hard for me to diverentiate between quoted lines and non qouted lines. and half way through i lost track of who was talking.

    ReplyDelete